Many ladies dream of becoming mothers faster and try to speed up conception. To do this, they are engaged in measuring the temperature, on the basis of which they build graphs. Let's look at this process in more detail and find out what should be the basal temperature during and before menstruation?
Do the measurements yourself
The basal temperature during the whole cycle is constantly changing due to the effects of female hormones. Subject to strict observance of certain rules, it is possible to fix it and build a certain schedule. That he will help determine the exact day of ovulation and pregnancy. You will also find out if there are any deviations in the whole menstrual cycle, about the presence of any diseases of the reproductive system or hormonal failure. But you should not rely only on these facts and carry out the treatment yourself. It is better to seek help from a specialist who will approach this issue professionally. So, the basal is the temperature of the body, which is at rest, it is not affected by any external factors, and it is possible to note the smallest changes. The thermometer is inserted into the rectum. The basal temperature in menstruation is measured taking into account certain factors:
1. Measurement should occur every day.
2. Measure the temperature at a certain time before getting out of bed. You should not make sudden movements, it is better to try to remain at rest.
3. To perform a similar procedure is necessary after several hours of continuous sleep.
4. You can use any thermometer, but the mercury is considered more accurate.
5. Introduce the thermometer inside 4-5 cm and wait about 5 minutes. At this time, you can not make any movements.
6. The result must be noted on a special schedule. It is better to do this immediately after the end of the measurement.
Be sure to put in the notes all the circumstances that somehow affect the temperature change. It can be stress, alcohol, any illness, sex, flight, examination by a doctor and so on. Basal temperature during menstruation will be unchanged if you take hormonal contraceptives. Today on the Internet you can find many programs that help build a similar schedule. You can also use a simple checkered leaflet.
When is conception most likely?
Two days after ovulation are considered the most favorable time for fertilization. During this period, the egg begins to exit the follicle directly into the abdominal cavity. So what should be the basal temperature during menstruation? It usually does not exceed 37 ° C, but sometimes it can slowly decrease. At this time, the hormone estrogen is actively produced. This phase lasts about two weeks. However, for each woman this process is individual. So, we decided what should be the basal temperature during menstruation, but before ovulation it gradually decreases. After the release of progesterone, which occurs right at this time, the indicators begin to increase. About 3-4 days the values slightly exceed 37 ° C. The basal temperature before menstruation begins to decrease. So, the date of ovulation is the limit that exists between low and sharply increased rates. To create an objective picture, it is necessary to deal with such measurements for several cycles in a row. We have already figured out how to build a graph correctly, what is the basal temperature during and after menstruation is normal. If this procedure seems difficult to you, use alternative methods for determining ovulation.
The essence of the method of basal thermometry
Sex hormones play a key role in the management of the female body: progesterone and estrogen, prolactin, hypothalamic and pituitary gonadotropic hormones. The balance between them is reflected in a variety of processes, including body temperature, which is called basal.
The basal temperature is the lowest temperature index, indicating the actual temperature of the internal organs. It is determined immediately after rest (usually after a night's sleep), before the start of any physical activity that will create measurement error. Only departments that have communication with body cavities are suitable for its establishment. It is the vagina (it is connected with the uterus), the rectum (it is directly connected with the thick sections of the intestine) and the oral cavity, passing into the oropharynx.
Set the level of the basal hormone estrogen and progesterone. They "dictate" what the basal temperature should be in one or another woman with ovulation.
The normal amount of estrogen does not in itself affect the temperature index. The task of this hormone is to prevent progesterone from affecting the thermoregulatory center localized in the hypothalamus (this is the area associated with the brain).
In the first half of the cycle estrogen dominates. It does not allow the basal temperature to rise above 37 ° C. During the period of ovulation, when an increased amount of estrogen enters the bloodstream at the beginning, there is a decrease in the temperature index by about 0.3 ° C. When the egg leaves the follicle and a yellow body appears in its place, producing progesterone, the thermometer shows 37 ° C or more. At the same time, the schedule of basal thermometry becomes similar to a bird with wings wide open, whose beak symbolizes the day of ovulation.
Further, when the corpus luteum dies (if conception did not occur) and the amount of progesterone decreases, the temperature drops. During menstruation, the indicator stays at 37 ° C, then decreases and everything repeats from the beginning.
If pregnancy occurs, progesterone is produced normally more and more, so the temperature does not decrease, as before menstruation, but, on the contrary, increases.
What will the definition of the day of ovulation
Knowing which day the oocyte leaves the follicle, a woman can:
- plan pregnancy: after 3-4 months of charting, you can practice sexual intercourse not “approximately”, counting 14 days from the expected start of the next menstruation, but knowing exactly the day of ovulation,
- plan the floor of the future baby (not 100% method). If you want a boy to be born, it is better to have sexual intercourse on the day of ovulation (on this day the basal temperature decreases and the vaginal whites acquire the color and consistency of raw chicken protein). If the dream is to give birth to a girl, it is better to have sex 2-3 days before the expected ovulation,
- knowing when ovulation occurs, you can, on the contrary, avoid conception, since several days before it, the day of the egg's release and the day after are the most "dangerous" days,
- the chart will show if there are hormonal problems, inflammation of the reproductive organs, or lack of ovulation (anovulation), which is why conception does not occur.
In addition, drawing a graph of basal thermometry in some cases will determine the pregnancy and without buying a test. And if you continue to lead him and the first time after conception, you can see in time the threat of miscarriage and take the necessary measures.
How to conduct basal thermometry
It is very important to know how to correctly measure basal temperature to determine ovulation. After all, a woman's body is extremely sensitive to minimal changes in external conditions, and the units in which the graph is kept are tenths of a degree (it is here that a fluctuation of 0.1-0.05 ° C can be important).
Here are the basic rules, subject to which the temperature schedule will be as informative as possible:
- Measurements are carried out either in the rectum (optimally), or vaginally, or in the mouth (this requires a special thermometer).
- The thermometer must be inserted 2-3 cm and lie quietly, taking measurements, 5 minutes.
- Before taking measurements, sit down, spin, stand up, walk, eat is not allowed. Even shaking the thermometer can lead to a false result.
- Choose a high-quality thermometer (preferably mercury), with which you will measure the temperature daily for 3-4 months.
- Put on the table (shelf) near the bed, to which you can reach in the morning without getting up, 3 things: a thermometer, a notebook and a pen. Even if you will keep your schedule on a computer - in online or offline programs, it is best to read the thermometer readings and immediately write it down with the number.
- Take measurements every morning at the same time. Plus or minus 30 minutes.
- Before measurements, it is necessary to sleep for at least 6 hours. If you get up at night, then take measurements later, so that it takes 6 hours.
- Thermometry should be done at 5-7 am, even if you can sleep until noon. This is due to the daily biorhythms of the hormones of the adrenal glands and hypothalamus, which affect the basal temperature.
- The accuracy of measurements is influenced by travel, alcohol intake, physical exertion, sexual acts. Therefore, try to avoid these situations as much as possible at the time of basal thermometry, but if they happen, mark them in the schedule. And if you are sick, and a fever has developed, all measurements for the next 2 weeks will be completely uninformative.
When to start measuring basal temperature?
From the very first day of menstruation, that is, from the first day of the cycle.
How to keep a schedule?
You can do this on a squared paper by drawing 2 lines: mark the date of the month on the horizontal line (along the abscissa), vertical (axis of the ordinates) draw the same so that each cell denotes 0.1 ° C. Every morning, put a dot at the intersection of the thermometry indicator and the desired date, connect the dots with each other. In the evening, the temperature need not be measured. Under the horizontal line, leave a place where you will take daily notes about the highlight and the events that occurred that could have affected the indicators. Above the measurement results, from day 6 to 12, draw a horizontal line. It is called cloaking and is used for convenience of decoding the schedule by a gynecologist.
We also suggest using the ready-made template of the basal temperature chart below, saving it to your computer and printing it out. To do this, move the cursor over the image and save the image through the right-click menu.
Note! If you are taking contraceptives, thermometry is not necessary. These drugs specifically disable ovulation, which makes them contraceptive.
Basal temperature curve is normal
What does the basal temperature graph look like during ovulation (that is, during a normal ovulatory cycle):
- in the first three days of menstruation, the temperature is about 37 ° C,
- to the end of the monthly temperature indicators fall, amounting to 36.4-36,6 ° C,
- further, within 1-1.5 weeks (depending on the cycle length), thermometry shows the same figures - 36.4-36.6 ° C (may be lower or higher, depending on the metabolic processes in the body). It should not be the same every day, but fluctuates slightly (that is, it is not a straight line that is drawn, but zigzags). After 6 values, connected by a closing line, should be followed by three days, when the temperature becomes higher by 0.1 ° C or higher, and on one of these days - higher than 0.2 ° C. Then after 1-2 days you can wait for ovulation,
- just before ovulation, the thermometer shows the basal temperature lower by 0.5-0.6 ° C, after which it rises sharply,
- during ovulation, the basal temperature is within 36.4-37 ° C (according to other data, above 37 ° C). It should be 0.25-0.5 (on average, 0.3 ° C) higher than at the beginning of the menstrual cycle,
- What should be the basal temperature after ovulation, depends on whether it was conceived or not. If the pregnancy does not occur, the numbers gradually decrease, to a total of about 0.3 ° C. The highest temperature is observed at 8-9 days after the release of the mature oocyte. It is on this very day that the fertilized oocyte is implanted into the inner uterine membrane.
Between the average figures of the two halves of the cycle - before and after ovulation - the temperature difference should be 0.4-0.8 ° C.
How long does basal temperature stay after ovulation?
Before the onset of menstruation. Usually it is 14-16 days. If 16-17 days have already passed, and the temperature indicator is still above 37 ° C, this most likely indicates the occurrence of pregnancy. During this period, you can make a test (most importantly, after ovulation has already passed 10-12 days), you can determine the hCG in the blood. Ultrasound and gynecologist examination are still uninformative.
These are indicators of the basal temperature of ovulation, as well as before and after it. But not always the menstrual cycle looks so perfect. Usually the numbers and the type of curve cause many questions for women.
High numbers in the first phase of the cycle
If, after menstruation, basal thermometry figures are above 37 ° C, this indicates an insufficient amount of estrogen in the blood. An anovulatory cycle is usually observed. And if you take 14 days from the next menstruation, that is, look at phase 2 (otherwise it is not visualized), then there are sharp jumps in temperature indicators, without gradually increasing them.
The syndrome is accompanied by various unpleasant symptoms: hot flushes, headaches, cardiac arrhythmias, and increased sweating. This type of temperature curve, together with the determination of low levels of estrogen in the blood, requires the doctor to prescribe drugs - synthetic estrogens.
Progesterone and Estrogen-Progesterone Deficiency
If, after ovulation, the basal temperature does not rise, this indicates progesterone deficiency. This situation is a common cause of endocrine sterility. And if conception does occur, then there is a danger of miscarriage in the early period, until the placenta forms and assumes the function of progesterone production.
The lack of work of the corpus luteum (a gland that forms at the site of an exposed follicle) is indicated by a decrease in temperature indicators already 2-10 days after ovulation. If the length of the 1 phase of the cycle can still vary, then the second phase should be the same and be on average 14 days.
Progesterone deficiency can also be assumed with an increase in numbers to just 0.3 ° C.
If you have 2-3 cycles after ovulation - low basal temperature, refer to this gynecologist with this schedule. He will say on which days of the cycle it is necessary to donate blood to determine progesterone and other hormones in it, and based on this analysis, he will prescribe a treatment. Typically, the appointment of synthetic progesterone effectively, and as a result, the woman gets pregnant and bear the child.
This condition, when the ovaries do not produce sufficient quantities of both hormones, is indicated by the temperature graph, which has no significant fluctuations (there are large areas with straight lines, not zigzags). This condition is also evidenced by an increase in temperature indicators of up to 0.3 ° C after ovulation.
If it is already 16 days of the menstrual cycle, and there is no characteristic decrease, and then the temperature did not increase, most likely, there was no ovulation. The older the woman, the more she has such cycles.
Based on the foregoing, basal thermometry is an easy and budgetary method for determining the days optimal for conception, as well as the reasons why pregnancy may not occur. It takes only 5-10 minutes of time in the morning. No matter what performance you do not see, this is not a reason for panic or self-treatment. Refer to the gynecologist with your schedules for several cycles, and you will be prescribed diagnosis and treatment.
What should be the basal temperature during menstruation
It is important to know that a strict norm of basal temperature for all absolutely women during menstruation does not exist. Although there are certain limits for the fluctuations of values, it is necessary to determine the true data of your body throughout the measurements for at least three cycles. Average rates of basal temperature during menstruation in healthy women in reproductive age are fluctuations from 37.0 degrees on the first day to 36.2-36.4 by the end of menstruation.
Usually, the basal temperature data on the first day of menstruation is the highest since the progesterone dominance has ended and its concentration decreases to a minimum. This affects the degrees, which usually have a value of about 37.0–36.9 ° C.
All measurement values in the days of menstruation should also be entered in the schedule of basal temperature at monthly. It will look like a drop-down polyline. Then, analyzing the data of this calendar, you can make certain conclusions about the work of the ovaries and the secretion of hormones.
High basal temperature during menstruation
There are also situations when, when measuring values during menstruation, their increase relative to the norm is revealed. Если возникает ситуация, когда при начале менструации сначала снижается, а потом начинает повышаться температура – это косвенно может указывать на воспалительные процессы в полости матки или придатках.In addition, an excessively high basal temperature during menstruation, in the absence of a decrease in values throughout the second phase, and the start of bleeding with a delay, may indicate an early miscarriage. This indicates that the embryo was conceived and rejected for any reason.
Frequently, a change in temperature during menstruation occurs in the presence of hormonal disruptions, estrogen or progesterone deficiency, which also leads to the development of premenstrual syndrome and monthly pain. At the same time, the graph can show pronounced temperature fluctuations from 37.5 ° C and higher on the first day of menstruation to 36.2-36.4 ° C in recent days.
If on the graph of basal temperatures during menstruation sharp deviations are detected against the background of previously stable measurements, this is the reason for an immediate visit to the doctor for examination.
Basal temperature (BT) before and during menstruation
Basal temperature during menstruation and other phases of the cycle - a criterion that makes it clear about the nature of the flow of menstruation, the presence of inflammatory processes or pregnancy. The method of measuring basal temperature is used by more and more women, despite the presence of more convenient and accurate research methods. But this method is simple, safe, and, importantly, does not require financial costs. Moreover, a woman can independently observe the results of the method and learn to understand what is happening with the body.
The measurement value of BT during menstruation
Usually, the method of measuring the basal temperature of a woman is recommended by the attending gynecologist when she cannot become pregnant for a long time. The value of the basal temperature is actually very important, and with the right measurement you can find out many facts affecting the female body.
This method can be:
- find out when the next menstruation will be,
- find out if ovulation occurred,
- determine if the pregnancy has occurred
- find out when an egg matures,
- identify inflammatory diseases or disorders of the endocrine system.
But what is the basal temperature (BT) for menstruation should be? Are there any "standards", a sharp departure from which is the reason to visit the gynecologist or endocrinologist? In medical sources you can find information that normally the basal temperature (BT) during menstruation reaches 37 ° C. This is an indicator of women's health, the temperature rises due to the action of hormones.
Scheduling the measurement of BT
Scheduling basal temperature is convenient for both the doctor and the woman. For a chart, take a tetrad sheet in a cage and draw it in such a way that the bottom of the chart shows the days of your menstrual cycle (normally from 28 to 35), and the left temperature data (from 35.5 to 37.5 ° C). Every day in the schedule it is necessary to note the temperature. The graph will show that during the period of menstruation, the temperature was around 37 degrees, and the period immediately before ovulation was characterized by a decrease in temperature to a steady increase. The basal temperature before menstruation, or rather closer to them, in the second phase of the cycle, increases, respectively, before this rise and there was an ovulation period.
In the following conditions or diseases, the schedule will be different from normal:
- inflammatory diseases of the appendages,
- endocrine diseases such as hyperprolactinemia, corpus luteum insufficiency during pregnancy, estrogen deficiency,
- anovulatory cycle (ovulation did not occur this month)
- menopause, menopause.
How to measure basal temperature
It is important to measure the basal temperature according to certain rules, otherwise, under the influence of certain factors, BT may rise or fall, and the conclusions of the results will be false. It must be remembered that during stress, strong physical and mental stress, the body accelerates metabolic processes, and, accordingly, the temperature rises. Do not measure BT immediately after a meal. If there are inflammatory diseases, then the temperature measurement does not make any sense. When hormonal drugs are taken, no measurement of BT is also prescribed (ovulation does not occur in this case).
Any thermometer will do: whether it is a classic mercury or electronic, measuring the temperature per minute.
Now the question is: where to measure BT? It has already been said that it is possible to measure temperature differently, and you choose the method of measurement that is most convenient for you, but it is undesirable to change the measurement location during the menstrual cycle.
But still, the most significant and reliable criterion is the basal temperature figures, which are measured rectally.
One of the main conditions: measure BT in the morning, when the body has not yet experienced physical exertion. After measuring the temperature, record it in a graph.
Indicators of normal basal temperature during menstruation
The menstrual cycle in its different phases varies by increasing or decreasing the level of sex hormones in the body. In women, the basal temperature during menstruation may be different, because due to changes in hormone levels, its indicators often fluctuate. To determine "its" temperature will allow its constant measurement over several cycles with a reflection in the graph. For accurate data, monitoring it for 3 cycles or more is required.
Not many women keep such records, so gynecologists often use average basal temperature indicators that are appropriate for many patients. When menstruation in a woman is just beginning, the temperature is considered to be within 37.1 ° C, after which there is a gradual decrease and by the last day of the period it should decrease to 36.4 ° C. If we talk about whether the abundance of discharge during menstruation has an effect on basal temperature, then long-term observations by gynecologists and women themselves confirm that its fluctuations do not depend on the volume of secretions during critical days.
BT out of norm
If you know what the basal temperature during menstruation in a woman, then it can help gynecologists time to suspect that she has serious gynecological diseases. On the days of the beginning of menstruation, special processes take place in the female body, one of them is the opening of the cervix. This condition is dangerous because aggressive microbes can enter the body. Then, in the process of vital activity of pathogenic organisms, a decrease in immunity will occur and, as a result, inflammation will occur.
Endometritis and endomyometritis
If a woman has noticed that BT is reduced before menstruation, and with the onset of discharge and on the following days remains within 37.3 ° C, then this increase in temperature may signal endometritis (inflammation in the uterine inner mucosa) or endomyometritis (expressed by internal inflammation mucous membrane, and with it the muscular layer of the uterus in a woman).
The clinical symptoms of these dangerous diseases of the female reproductive system will be:
- recurrent fever with chills
- increased heart rate
- spastic pains with heaviness in the abdomen,
- elevated white blood cell count and an increase in ESR.
An immediate medical examination and treatment of the disease is required.
The rate of pregnancy and its termination
It is possible to suspect the onset of pregnancy and its subsequent interruption on menstruation days if the woman has:
- basal temperature rose during ovulation,
- its indicators remain unchanged during the onset and during the period of menstruation,
- decrease in temperature occurred only after the end of menstruation.
In order to avoid possible complications and the development of inflammatory processes in the uterus, a gynecological examination should be performed.
Inflammatory processes in the appendages
The situation, when in the second half of the cycle, the basal temperature marks at its measurement reached 37.0 ° C, then at the onset and during menstruation it is fixed at 37.0 ° C or higher, inflammatory processes in the appendages should be suspected.
- raising the body temperature of the diseased to 40 ° C, especially before the onset of menstruation,
- there is pain in the lower abdomen in the form of spasms, which can flow into the rectum,
- general weakness of the body
- nausea and vomiting.
Examination of the gynecologist in the presence of such symptoms usually confirms the development of inflammation in the appendages.
Inflammation of the fallopian tubes and cervix
If the basal temperature has risen in the last days of menstruation and lasts at least 4–5 days, this symptom may indicate inflammatory processes occurring in the fallopian tubes, or in rare cases developing near the cervix.
The main symptoms of inflammation of the fallopian tubes are:
- pains in the lower abdomen that have different intensity, which can occur on the one hand,
- violations of the menstrual cycle and the nature of the flow of menstruation,
- moderate increase in body temperature
- an increase in the amount of discharge from the genitals.
Signs indicating inflammation of the cervix:
- purulent and bloody spotting from the vagina,
- itchy groin,
- pain in lower abdomen.
Pain can also occur when urinating or during sexual intercourse with a partner.
Basal temperature at pregnancy
During pregnancy, an increase in the basal temperature to 37.2 ° C is recorded, which is accompanied by the absence of menstruation. During the period of bearing a child, such BT remains for quite a long time - during the first 4 months. This is due to the increased production of the necessary hormones. Then, by the second half of pregnancy, the basal temperature of the woman slightly decreases.
But if there is a decrease in temperature below 37 ° C, then it is necessary to consult a doctor. An increase in its performance to 37.7 ° C and higher may signal the development of an inflammatory process in a pregnant woman, which can bear dangerous consequences for both the woman and the fetus.
Basal temperature after completion of critical days
The normal basal temperature after menstruation in the first half of the cycle is 36.4 ° C. In the second phase, there is at first a slight decline, followed by a marked jump with a “run-up” of at least 0.5 ° C. Such a rise in basal temperature is evidence that ovulation has occurred in the female body and the egg cell has matured and is ready for fertilization.
It is very important to measure BT regularly, especially during pregnancy. This process takes a little time, but in the future it can help in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the female reproductive system.